Monday, August 25, 2008

Qualifying Examination (aka, "Quals")

Studying for the Qual. A grueling exam designed to test my knowledge in graduate level theoretical physics (classical mechanics and electromagnetics), quantum mechanics, and thermodynamics. A 5 hour exam that is only 5 questions long. It is also designed to break me. But I won't let it. I'm studying. Studying fun topics like electrostatics, relativity, lorentz transformations, quantum scattering, canonical ensembles, lagrangian dynamics, and perturbation theory. What a treat.

Of course there is the real possibility that I will fail this exam on Friday. I have spent most of the time that I should have been studying, working on research. On the bright side, at least I enjoy my job enough that I'd rather do it than other stuff.

Anyway, that's what I've been doing, and not blogging. Well, mostly the research. I'll blog a bit more about that perhaps when I finish this test... Wish me luck!

No comments: