Friday, June 22, 2007

Email? No no, too high tech for me.

After a massive cyber attack on the Pentagon wednesday, Secretary of Defense Robert Gates responded to a reporter's question of whether or not his own email was compromised, with the following gem:
"I don't do email. I'm a very low-tech person"
I can think of one other person I know who doesn't use email. Her name is Nana. Now don't get me wrong, Nana's a great Nana, but probably not a good Secretary of Defense. I am utterly apalled that someone with that much responsibility for our nation doesn't even use email. Email, given the state of technology these days, is pretty damn low-tech. My mom uses it, 'nough said. So if email is too high-tech for Gates (don't let the irony of his name escape you) what else is over his head? Radio Frequency Identification? Wireless network encryption? Digital face and voice recognition? Microwave ovens? Bronze and iron tools?

"Secretary Gates, what security measures might you take upon learning that terrorists can use simple razor blades to hijack airplanes?"
"Oh I don't use razor blades, I shave with the sharp edge of a stone. I'm a very low-tech person"

The point is, people responsible for defending our nation should at least be as tech-savvy as the people trying attack it.

No comments: