Monday, June 18, 2007

Lawnmower man, Cascade B

So after work today I cinched up my productivity belt, and mowed the lawn for the first time, and with a new lawnmower no less (thanks to Mom and Henry for the landscaping financial support). I found that mowing the lawn is far far worse than mowing my lawn. The difference is subtle, but very important. I almost found myself in a hurry to get home to cut the grass, which I have never done before, ever. My apologies to my mother for the fuss I put up all those years as a kid when she paid me the tirelessly negotiated, though still overpriced fee of $17 to mow our small lawn. I have to admit though, the novelty of my lawn wore of quickly and I found myself tempted to cut corners (or more precisely, not cut corners) near the end. The responsible adult in my won out nonetheless, and the lawn looks.... well... shorter.

In physics news, it appears that the folks at Fermilab have discovered yet another particle, the Cascade B. This is suspiciously close to the end of the Tevatron collider at Fermilab, but they are apparently proving that they still have the mustard to do some groundbreaking physics, even while the much anticipated replacement, the LHC, is about to come online. The Cascade B is a baryon (which is similar to a proton and neutron, what we're made of) that has a quark from each family (bottom, down, and strange). This is the first such 'trinity' particle discovered, and was predicted by the standard model. This discovery comes with rumors that the Tevatron has seen the Higgs Boson, which is the holy grail of particle physics, and is what the LHC was built to look for. The Higgs (nicknamed the 'God particle') is what is believed to be responsible for giving matter its mass. It also is responsible for why there is more matter than antimatter in the universe. All in all, very big news in high energy physics. I'm sure most of this is quite confusing to all of you, so if anyone wants me to explain something or anything in further detail, please don't hesitate to ask. Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

mom said...

You're welcome! I'm glad all that nagging, I mean negotiating, was worth it.

Gwerin said...

you missed some spots on the lawn...heh heh.


and as for all that physics talk...back when they thought the world was flat they designed sculptures in art so that there weren't any parts of them that were vulnerable, because they knew they'd last longer that way. that's why some of the oldes art stuff from the pyramid days is stuff carved in stone that's all connected...no limbs hanging out, no little body parts stickin out.

ha. i know something you don't.